CARJACKING TIPS AND DRIVING SAFETY
Carjacking of parked vehicles depends on the car owner being inattentive to their surroundings. Carjackers, like street robbers, prefer the element of surprise. Most victims say they never saw the carjacker until they appeared at their car door. To reduce your risk of being carjacked, we have listed some common sense steps below:
- Keep all car doors locked and windows closed while in or out of your car. Set your alarm or use an anti-theft device.
- Avoid driving alone or at night. If you have to drive at night always park in well-lighted areas.
- Don't park in isolated or visually obstructed areas near walls or heavy foliage.
- Park as close as you can to your destination and take notice of where you parked.
- Avoid parking next to vans, trucks with camper shells, or cars with tinted windows.
- Use valet parking or an attended garage, if you are driving alone.
- As you walk to your car be alert to suspicious persons sitting in cars.
- Ask for a security escort if you are alone at a shopping center.
- Watch out for young males loitering in the area (handing out flyers, etc).
- If someone tries to approach, change direction or run to a busy store.
- Follow your instincts if they tell you to walk/run away to a busy place.
- As you approach your vehicle, look under, around, and inside your car.
- Do not approach your car alone if there are suspicious people in the area.
- If safe, open the door, enter quickly, and lock the doors.
- Keep a secure hold on your purse, handbag and parcels. Do not put them down or on top of the car in order to open the door.
- Be sure to locate your keys prior to going to your car.
- Never leave your car unoccupied with the motor running or with children inside.
- Do not leave packages or valuables on the seat of your car. This creates a temptation for thieves.
- If you must leave something in the car, lock it in the trunk or put it out of sight.
- Don't be a target by turning your back while loading packages into the car.
- Make it your habit to always start your car and drive away immediately.
- Teach and practice with your children to enter and exit the car quickly.
- In the city, always drive with your car doors locked and windows rolled up.
- When stopped in traffic, leave room to maneuver and escape, if necessary.
- If you are bumped in traffic by young males be suspicious of the accident.
- Wave to follow, and drive to a gas station or busy place before getting out.
- If you are ever confronted by an armed carjacker don't resist.
- Give up your keys or money if demanded without resistance.
- Don't argue, fight or chase the robber. You can be seriously injured.
- Never agree to be kidnapped. Drop the cars keys and run and scream for help.
- If you are forced to drive, consider crashing your car near a busy intersection, avoiding other cars or people, so bystanders can come to your aid and call the police.
- Call the police immediately to report the crime and provide detailed information.
Visit www.personalsafetykits.com for self defense and personal safety products!
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: Carjacking, Driving Crime Prevention, Driving Safety Tips, Plan ahead, Safety Tips, Self Defense, Self Defense Tips, Self Protection Tips